Tuesday 13 November 2007

CHENNAI (Madras)


Well I am here now in Tambaram (Near Chennai) After a 24 hour train journey which took me from the West to the East coast of India I was collected by Joseph who runs the Orphanage A.F.R.A (Assosiation For Rural Action) here in Tambaram with 43 Orphans. Tamal is the native language to the South of India and English is hardly spoken....JOY! So I am mostly talking to myself. The kids laugh at me and copy everything I say. They have no toys so I am now tasking them all with making Christmas decorations out of the husk of a coconut and some beads. They will do anything they can to take a peek in my cell room if only to see something slightly Western. I only wish I had brought out more things for them......The smallest of things means so much! If only a touch of the face, a hand hold or just to be sat with them while they eat their rice from steel plates with their right hand (left for ones bottom!) when sitting in rows on the floor.

Well this is just a short entry as I am off to see if there are any toys I am able to purchase for the kids while they are at school. Snap, Memory, elastics, hop scotch, hand slaps etc are all becoming a little the same now! Loving the cricket though, with a peice of fruit and a log!

Next Monday a couple from Goa, Rick and Gilly also Pedro who runs the Orphanage in Goa are coming to A.F.R.A to see the kids; Rick and Gilly support A.F.R.A through their Charity. I will head off with them for 5 days to travel then come back to the Orphanage.

Love to you all, keep the comments and e mails coming, they mean so much. Thank you.

Sorry no picture this time, the USB port is a no go by the looks of things in this village, so it may be some time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you taking many pictures? I want you to write a book when you get back - you're a wonderful story teller!!!

So proud of you for being there and making a difference!

I'd shake your hand - but I think I know where it's been now!!!!

B XXXXXX

Tony said...

Sonou,
Great to speak to you this afternoon. Sorry you are not able to get to the internet easily, love your descriptions, will look forward to the next episode when you can.

Next week sees the Russell tribe really spread out. You in India, Big L in USA, Mid L in Serbia and yours truly in South Africa. Dear M keeps the home fire burning.

Keep your natural gifts flowing, you've plenty to give.
All our love, M&D XXXXX

Ali Hills said...

Dearest Sonya,

Well...it's Children In Need here today and as we speak over 10 million pounds has been raised (according to the delightful Terry Wogan!). But where you are I'm sure you understand the true meaning of 'children in need' far better than any of us and the value of the smallest of things putting the biggest of smiles on a child's face...and all without costing a penny!!!

Will send you a personal message too and try out the new phone number I have for you, so all blog/email/text hugs to you are covered!!!

Missing you girlfriend...Ali. xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Son,
Very nice reading all about your adventure... Sounds like you're having an amazing experience and making the most of it... lots of loveXxX Ambre

Anonymous said...

Wotcha BH

Bet that train journey was an adventure and a half.... Have to say I'm also very proud of you for doing some good in this messed up world!!

Miss you loads especially as I bumped into that wee chap who likes to wear a 'yellow jacket' and lives not so far away from your folks he remembered meeting me with you (our funny encounter in the Bear Hotel).....

Take good care of you tucker

Big HUG and love from yr fellow BH xxxxxx

Jay said...

Hi, Son, Your experiences are sounding so great, i agree with Beefy, you should write a book! Life here ticking along, xnas shopping, mid L back from snowy Serbia, I enjoyed my girl only zone (boris does'nt count) The nations men are in mourning as England not in the European cup next summer, joke doing the rounds, " what has Lewis Hamilton got next year that the England football team hav'nt....... a maclaren !!! did you laugh, look forward to the next blogg, take care !.

love j xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Sonya,

Fascinating reading! So you won't be up for a curyr when you get back then?

Take Care

Max
xxx

Anonymous said...

Good words.

domain registration india said...

Now I'm staying in chennai, one day i was visited in this trust. its good maintenance. good job every one better to donate this trust. please be do it & spend time to read this post.

diamond said...

I read your blog very impressed seen this kind of important information’s. Really am interested to back to your blog again to gather some more information’s.

diamond said...

I read your blog very impressed seen this kind of important information’s. Really am interested to back to your blog again to gather some more information’s.