Sunday 2 December 2007

JOURNEY BACK TO GOA


Well here I am again in Goa! This was not planned but then that goes with the whole package of this trip, where the wind blows I drift. That’s been the best way and in fact has allowed me to see much more of India than I expected. My work with the children and in the orphanages is still at the forefront of all I am doing but just not so stayed in the one place.

These next few paragraphs will take you through my Blog Journey of India over the past week….Pop the kettle on and wrap your hands around a warm cup of Chai while I take you into my world of sights, smells and sounds for the next ten minutes…..

I’ll be back in ten to take you there just waiting while you pop the kettle on…………

OK, so that may have been longer than ten but I’m working in Indian time now! What I wanted to type will have to now be short and sweet but by now you would have had at least five cups of your warming drink and been bored of waiting for me to return.

My plans have slightly changed so I need to pack my bag again as I’m heading off in a few hours for a two day beach hut retreat in Panolin before I catch the 24 hour train from Goa to Chennia again on Thursday…. This time I know what I’m in for! It does not help that I have since read the Indian rail statistics of this network being the most dangerous in the world, all put down to human error which I can well understand! Still that said it is a great journey choosing to travel second class in the sleeper carriage where you have endless people getting on from different stations offering food, chai, coffee, begging, sweeping for money and generally selling what they can to get a little bit of money to see them through the following day. You do have to be careful in what you eat or drink as a nasty little stint being playing at the moment is to drug a person and take their belongings when the lights dim and people take rest for the night, which is usually as soon as the sun sets at 6.30. At this point I am perched on top of my back pack for the journey like a hobbit with it ties to every limb of my body.

I am heading back to the orphanage I have already spent a number of weeks at, so am looking forward to seeing the 43 children again ranging from the ages of 5 to 18. I’m looking forward to seeing how they are getting on with the hand crafts I have thought them before I left (friendship bracelets, cross stitch, Christmas decorations, wood carvings, flax mats, ribbon flowers, etc) It will soon be time for us to decorate the tree at the front of the orphanage with the bright pom poms we were making, and hopefully we can find some fairy lights. One of the many loveliest sights and memories I will have of the orphanage, apart from the children was after a heavy down fall. I looked out into the dark of the night at the silhouette of the palm tree, the tree frogs were crocking in load harmony at the joy of the downfall, the sound was almost deafening. There twinkling like fairy lights in the palm tree were fire flies, little flies that back sides flicker like a florescent light as they buzz around in search of their partner. Natures in all singing all dancing Christmas tree!

Coming back to Goa has made me realise how much more “street wise” I am in the short time I have been here from when I was first sat here typing my blog. I have travelled 5 countries (as called by the locals) more states to us, which cover the South of India, Goa, Karnatake, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh. I have seen so much and experienced so many things it would take forever to type. I only hope that when I get back and share my experiences with you, you will feel it in your hearts to at some point help in supporting me to support a worthy cause out here. These children are just something else!

Well when I next type I will be back in A.F.R.A, my English will then again drift into the background as my hand signals come into the forefront along with my belly as I will be fed till I have stitch again every night. Mum, please remember what I said about the Christmas dinner! A fruit salad will do……

Max and Jason a BIG thank you for the Arniwear, it has been a true life saver out here, it will come well recommended from me as an anti mosquito measure. The I-straw has come into use a few times but less that I thought as I have been sticking to bottled water.

Thank you all so much for your e mails, sorry I have not had a chance to reply in depth but you are all often in my thoughts. Here is hoping that the run up to Christmas is exciting for you, spare a thought when hanging a decoration on your tree for the homeless and orphaned children not only here in India but around the world!

Until I next type, LOL. xxx

6 comments:

minx said...

THATS A VERY LONG TEN MINUTES MISS RUSSELL....IV HAD FOUR POTS!!
GOOD TO HEAR ALL YOUR NEWS, NOT LONG TO GO NOW, SO ENJOY EVERY MINUTE.WISH I WAS OUT THERE TOO.
BIG HUG
MINX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Sonya, it sounds like you are having an amazing time! Can't wait to see all the photo's when you get back.

Be safe chick xx

LeighMac said...

What an adventure you are having ...sounds like you are out there spreading your magical charm all over the place. Cannot wait to see you and hear all the bits in between !

Hugs and Kisses to you Sweetie x

Becky said...

Sounds like you are having a truly amazing experience Son - you will not want to come back to blighty!! Take care and travel safe. Becky x

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog, I have read your journey and can say that I felt part of it, well that is true, I can truly say I experienced it with you. It was lovely to meet you and find that we had a mutual friend, I wish I had experienced the other side of India, but my time in Goa was truly amazing, I came back a different person.

I have also come back with a liking for curry, but have tried to tell people that curry is not everything Goan's eat, but it is possible to have curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I am looking forward to meeting up with you in the New Year, so we can swap dits and pics!!

Have a great Christmas and think of the time when we sat making christmas cards at Shalom House.

Love
Suzannexx

David Rogers said...

Hi there Sonia,

Spoke to Rick and Gilly on Sunday at the carol service so have been updated on most developments! Hope you are well.

Davidx